The one I married, he is worried. His job does that to him at times. As he leaves I remind him of the armor found in Ephesians. He says as he walks our the door...I wish I could remember to give thanks to fight the worry.
He leaves and I am left in the quiet of our home. I turn to the pages where armor is described. How often do we tackle a day without the protection? Leaving that which is necessary for life behind. Standing on the battlefield with only our worldly clothes...no shield...no weapon.
The enemy looks, searches for the weakest points, the places where no armor covers. I put the armor on piece by piece.
A belt tightened around. Truth surrounding the most intimate part of our body. Righteousness in the form of a breastplate covers the organs that are vital to life. I slide my feet into the readiness produced by the message of Christ. The helmet of salvation that guards our thoughts and redirects the mind.
Faith is the shield we use to defend ourselves. Fear and faith they cannot reside together. Fear causes us to drop the shield even lay it down, forgetting it exists.
My only weapon, a sword, sharpened by time spent in His word. Feasting on his word, committing it to memory, recalling it often is the practice that keeps the warrior trained.
Ephesians tells us we battle not against flesh and blood. The battle is eternal, lasting far longer than this life. The call to battle, to put on the armor is not a call to go after the enemy. The armor allows us to stand...firmly grounded...resisting the attack, temptation, sin. Jesus won the battle the day he hung on the cross. Victory doesn't get reversed. The enemy distracts, turns us around, wants us to run. There is no armor in the back.
Battle days are for standing, staying firm, resisting the thought that anything, anyone could undo what Jesus has done.
I stand and give thanks. Praising the one who is victorious.
No comments:
Post a Comment