Everyday for fifteen years I have passed the place at least twice. I often look wondering who lives there. What their lives are like.
I don't have to wonder any more as I have walked through a door only God could open. A door that leads me into the housing complex on a weekly basis. A trip that fills my car with kids and my heart with joy. Kids who just want to go to church to be a part of the youth group. On this day they are going swimming and I am just the vehicle that takes them there..into a loving community...a place to just be kid.
As we turn down the street to the house where we are headed I hear one say, "These are beautiful houses."
In a moment of silence the one with the round face and braces says, "If they ask I am going to tell them that I live in a brick house too."
They giggle and laugh and my heart melts. I smile and answer, "Well, you do!"
The covering of brick around the outside is the same but the inside is far different. One large with many bedrooms and a pool out back. The other small, three rooms to house seven people. How often do we take a look at the outside? Judging the outer coverings of others without ever knowing what's inside. Seeing a smile and assuming everything's ok inside. Assuming clean clothes and brushed hair equals a well kept person. It is never the case really. The outside only serves to give us a picture of what we want others to see and believe. If only bricks were transperant and skin was glass. Would that give us a better view of the inside?
Being tansperant is scary. It is easier to be lukewarm...neither hot nor cold about the things that go on inside of us and others. Could we take a step?
Could we possibly become "see through" for the sake of Christ?
No comments:
Post a Comment