Thursday, March 21, 2013

Help On the Journey

I have always had a lot of wonder about this station of the cross...when Simon the Cyrene carries it for Jesus.



Questions shoot through my mind. Why him? Did he know Jesus? Was he scared? Was his life changed by this? Did he begin to believe?

Everything that is written in scripture has a purpose...a wisdom. Jesus, he was God...and man. He could have called on Godly strength...his power to carry the cross. This is the man who walked on water...hushed storms...frightened demons with just his presence. These things did not change when he was handed a cross. He was still as much God as he was man. And in this moment, he chose to be weak. His choice was to allow someone else to help...to carry...to walk with him.

How many times have I refused help in the face of pride? Thinking "I can do this myself". And the truth is I probably could...but is that the point. Jesus accepted help...allowed someone else into the story. I like to think it transformed Simon's life. One of my favorite songs says it did.

Watch The Lamb

God created us for community...to live as one. Letting others help is accepting the blessings of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment